Reaching The Sun has nominated me for the Libester Award! Thank you, this is sweet. You can find her at: https://reachingthesunblog.wordpress.com/
The blog is thoughtfully written and, like the title suggests, blends positivity with the struggle of reality. She really is a beautiful and thought-provoking writer.
My blogging journey is perhaps a little different than most. My grandmother kept talking about her journals and asking where in the house her old ones were so I found them. Then I asked if I could read them, if she wanted me to transcribe and share them, and if I could write about the experience that was unfolding around me and she said yes to it all. So I began this blog to process, to share, and to, perhaps a wee bit of exaggeration going on here?, immortalize her story and the story of our sharing. I have been blown away by the support I’ve gotten from other bloggers since. I cherish not just that people love reading this but that they are sharing their profound and sensitive insights. It means a lot.
**Disclaimer. This awarding system seems a little bit like modern day chain letters so I tried to be cautious about who I passed the award onto. Some blogs are “Award free blogs” and I see why – this is a lot of work! But because I have been so supported on this journey, I’d love nothing more to give some props and some exposer to other cool blogs out there. There were several more I would have put up here but was requested not to. 🙂
I’ve been told to provide 10 facts about me:
- I’ve taught in the “inner city” for 10 years. 6 teaching ELA and 4 teaching Theatre.
- I am a ferocious defender of my students against people who do not understand inner city kids or teens in general. I fight to help them earn respect, understanding and appreciation. I also know that they do that beautifully for themselves and don’t need my help. However, starting sentences with phrases like “Kids these days…” or “Their parents should/don’t…” aren’t going to go over real well with me.
- I began telling my current students today that I’m taking a leave of absence. It is being a really hard day.
- I feel like I’m wearing a wool suit if I haven’t been writing. I don’t feel comfortable in my own skin if it’s been too long between scribbled poems, posts, novel writing, or idea sketching.
- Stephen King was one of the first authors I read – starting in middle school – and one of the few I read now. He is a major influence to my writing.
- Several years ago my husband got me a lego set to build. He knew to get me an animal set, not a car or a building, so I began my obsession with an angler fish. So cool! Still my fav set. My husband watched as I took about an hour to build it. My ADD cure! I didn’t get distracted once, didn’t start a new task in the middle, didn’t even get up from my seat. I’ve been hooked ever since.
- I have a cat. She is my baby. Her name is Oy.
- I love all things Whedon but especially Firefly.
- I love Shakespeare. So yes, I loved Whedon’s Much Ado About Nothing. Brilliant.
- I hate being in my 30s. I barely remember that I am and when I allow reality in, I don’t like the facts.
Here are my nominations!
- Ilona Eliot
She calls her blog Rainy Day Writing, but truly it is good for any day. She writes with humor about her reflections on life and getting older and writes wonderful original poetry.
2. O at the Edges
He really is a poet and has put together a great blog. His poems are thoughtful and that’s what I like in a poem.
3. Library Allegra!
Trust her. She’s a librarian. And she is a librarian in an inner city school and what I love about her and her blog is that she really gets it.
4. Rabbit Patch
This blog is new but it is beautifully and deeply written. Yes, there is an actual rabbit patch and it seems like a magical place!
5. Kim Shea Companions
This is a lovely place to find support and encouragement if you are a caretaker. This is a blog I am glad I found.
Liebster Award rules
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you.
- Display the award on your blog.
- Write a short description about your favourite blog and include a link to it.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, and who have fewer than 1000 followers.
- List these rules in your post.
- Inform the blogger the happy news that you nominated them for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn more about it (they might not have even heard of it!)
- Congratulations to the nominees and happy blogging!
One Comment Add yours